Archive for January 25, 2016
Sure, you’re going to see a brilliant array of wildlife and amazing culture during your Tanzania safari, but you may not realize just how incredible the shopping is as well! When it comes to African safari tours, those who are less outdoorsy may think that this isn’t really the vacation for them, but the accommodations and cultural opportunities offered by these sorts of adventures aren’t designed to only delight those who are passionate about rugged experiences! Shopping during your Tanzania safari can be an experience in and of itself, and we want to provide a few tips to make sure your experience is the best it can be:
- How to pay – When it comes to what money to bring, and what credit to use, you’ll want to use the native currency of Shillings or US currency in bills dated 2003 or after. Bills dated earlier than 2003 may not be accepted by shops and store owners, so making sure to have bills dated later is a great way to prepare. If you plan to pay by credit, we recommend taking along your Visa card!
- Where to shop – Tanzania has a vast and brilliant culture, and the local markets can provide souvenirs you’re not like to find anywhere else in the world. Gift shops and shops inside of your accommodations are where you can go to find your more standard souvenir, but if you’re looking for something unique, you’ll need to check out what the locals have to offer. Shopping in these local shops or from local markets also helps to boost the Tanzanian economy and improve the lives of the Tanzanian people.
- What not to buy – You may see some interesting folk items made from endangered woods or animal products, and we don’t suggest buying these items for a multitude of reasons. Not only does it support the destruction of these natural resources, but bringing them home may provide you some trouble when going through customs.
Tanzania safari vacations aren’t only for the rugged and adventurous, and those looking for a luxury experience will be offered quite a bit by vacationing in Tanzania as well. If shopping is something that you love to do during your vacations, Tanzania provides a gorgeous and interesting experience if you consider a few tips to prepare!
A Tanzania safari vacation is a vacation of a lifetime, and we field a lot of questions regarding how to prepare for your safari and what you can expect during your experience. To answer a few of these questions, we want to outline some of our most common and a few answers you can use to determine if this sort of experience is the one for you! Some of our most common questions are:
- What happens in the case of an accident? – Accidents can happen anywhere, but when travelling in a foreign country, wondering what to do in the case of an accident is common. We can suggest to you things to pack in your own personal first aid kit to carry with you on your safari trip, and we also suggest consulting with your doctor for any other necessities before taking your Tanzanian safari vacation. Should an emergency occur during your trip, travel health care insurance is also recommended to cover any emergency costs.
- What currency should I carry? – Tanzania uses shillings, but we often suggest US travelers carry US currency during your trip. Bills dated after 2003 are recommended, as older bills may not be taken, and the most widely accepted method of credit is Visa.
- What will my visa cost? – You will need a visa to visit Tanzania on your Tanzanian safari adventure, and the costs for this visa vary depending on your location. For US passports, the visa cost is around $100, Canadian passport holders can expect to pay around $75, and EU passport holders will pay $50. The visa can be obtained at your country’s Tanzanian embassy.
- How will I communicate? – The most common languages spoken in Tanzania are Swahili and English, so English speakers will often be able to communicated with Tanzanian natives while shopping, eating, and exploring. A book on Swahili phrases may also be appreciated to bring along on your safari.
There are few experiences like that of a Tanzanian safari, and this is one vacation destination that can leave lasting memories to be treasured by the entire family. Knowing how to prepare for your Tanzanian safari can ensure your trip goes smoothly and the maximum amount of fun is had, which is why we want to make sure your questions are answered and you feel confident about your trip!